Troubleshooting Muse with Mind Monitor

ZenWaves

Troubleshooting Muse with Mind Monitor

Post by ZenWaves »

I just bought a Muse 2 and I'm interested in buying the Mind Monitor App. I've done several of the intro meditations with Muse but for some reason, despite accurate calibration, the Muse app itself does not seem to differentiate between focused vs. unfocused attention. I noticed early on that even when my mind became completely distracted, Muse was still playing the soft 'in-state' background sounds. To test this out further I tried a new meditation and at random intervals opened my eyes and started reading a book, watched TV, had a conversation etc. but the Muse app still kept playing 'in-state' sound effects. At the end of the meditation the results showed that I was in the 'Calm" state most of the time! I've written to Muse for support but can I use the Mind Monitor app to better trouble shoot this? To be honest, I'm not particularly interested in the Muse meditation apps. I just want to do my own meditation practice and better understand my EEGs to fine tune my practice. Thanks in advance.
James
Site Admin

Re: Troubleshooting Muse with Mind Monitor

Post by James »

Mind Monitor will only give you data. No interpretation. It sound like you don't have a good fit of the headband and if that's the case, then Yes, Mind Monitor will show you this. If/When you buy the app, switch to the RAW EEG view and what you want a thin crisp lines with very little variance. The more "fuzzy" the line, the worse the sensor contact.