After I've stopped recording, where are the files saved to locally?

klepper

After I've stopped recording, where are the files saved to locally?

Post by klepper »

I can't find the files I've recorded on the phone. I did hit stop, now where is it? After the session I clicked on option and it sent a JPG, whoh, not what I wanted, but now the session is all gone and I can't "share" it via dropbox or anything.

Did the app not record or save it locally or something? Is the data all gone?

Can I set it up that as soon as I hit stop recording, it saves the data automatically somewhere rather than hit the wrong button and loose everything.

Typically when you are meditating, it's dark and you're eyes are closed and you're fumbling around with your phone and your eyes aren't accustomed to the super bright screen, etc.
James
Site Admin

Re: After I've stopped recording, where are the files saved to locally?

Post by James »

There are separate buttons for image sharing and recording.
The button on the far left shares an image. The record/stop button records your session.
When you press stop, on an Android phone it will pop up with many options to save your file depending on what you have installed (Google Drive, Dropbox, email etc)
When you press stop, on an iPhone it will save to Dropbox, or attach to an email depending on what you have selected in settings.

On an Android phone, Muse Monitor saves recordings in your phones default Download folder so they can be picked up by the app you select to save them, then when you quit Muse Monitor the recording is deleted. You may find your recording is still in the download folder if you did not quit Muse Monitor yet.
Jbmuser

Post by Jbmuser »

James,
On Android there is no possibility to simply save the recording ? I just lost some 1h session...
I can only share the CSV when session is finished, not saved it. It's really painfull. I mean, when I want to record a file, I hit the button and do not expect the file to disappear at some point.
Now, I need to send myself each time an email with the file, am I right ?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Sure, install something like Cx File Explorer and it'll let you pick a local location to save.
manusan

Post by manusan »

Hi! Just chipping in with some feedback on this.
But first of all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE MindMonitor. Such an amazing app to get the most out of Muse!

I think the issue with the recording option and the fact that the recorded files are nowhere to be found and the only option we have is to select a place to "share" the recording once we stop recording, is that, just like it's happened to me a few times (and again this morning after an all night recording session), the Sharing destination I selected was not suitable to share a file the size of the recording.
In the specific, I used "PushBullet" to share the file and it usually works fine, but last night;'s recording was done with the "Constant" setting and it had produced a file of over 2Gb.
How do I know? I had spotted it in the Downloads folder... until it disappear coz I closed the Mind Monitor app.

Couldn't recording just be saved automatically in a predefined MindMonitor folder? And then, if we want, we can choose to share them?

Thanks for the amazing work you've done with this app.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

manusan wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:49 pm Couldn't recording just be saved automatically in a predefined MindMonitor folder? And then, if we want, we can choose to share them?
Why would you record if not to share it? If you want to just keep the recordings on a folder on your phone, then you can do this with CX File Explorer. Make a folder in downloads called "Muse" and when you share the file to CX File Explorer, move it there and you're done. :-)

There are a few reasons that I haven't made an option for Mind Monitor to save locally.
#1 - You need to get the files off the phone to view them. Yes, you can use the online charts on a phone, but it's really not ideal.
#2 - The recordings can easily overload the storage space of a mid range phone. Most users are doing daily sessions and if they're not deleted, or if they switch to constant recording mode, that's a lot of file space they're going to loose! When I was first developing Mind Monitor I managed to completely fill my phone with Muse data and had to factory reset it to get it working as it had zero free space left! I don't want that to ever happen to a user.
#3 - I want using Mind Monitor to be as simple as possible. If I let people save locally, I'd need to build in some kind of file management thing and that's extra complexity that would just confuse the vast majority of users.
#4 - It needs an extra permission in Android to save to a location outside of Downloads and everyone hates giving apps permissions.
hannahu

Post by hannahu »

I have also had the same problem several times, when I stop the recording, a pop up appears, each time I have to choose Dropbox from many options. If I do anything else, like turn on my WiFi, the popup disappears and I thought the recording was lost. I will check the Download folder next time, thank you for that information. But I would also prefer if I could save the setting, that the recording is automatically saved to my dropbox folder.

But apart from that I am over the moon with this app and the website! I was disappointed with the Muse App when I bought the headband about a year ago. At that time I did not find this app, a visualisation of all the brainwaves seemed to be only possible on Mac devices, and I only have Windows and Android. So now it is really opening a vast amount of possibilities!
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

hannahu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 am But I would also prefer if I could save the setting, that the recording is automatically saved to my dropbox folder.
Sorry, that's not possible on Android. The way that file handling works on Android is that apps (Mind Monitor) creates a request to share the file to the Android operating system and then from that point on, Android is in control, not the app that sent the sharing request. In some older versions of Android, you used to be able to select a default file handler app, but that seems to be gone now.
hannahu

Post by hannahu »

Thank you James for the quick answer! Really great work and great service. I just have to be mindful... which is not a bad quality to train when exploring meditation ;)
lynnferguson

Post by lynnferguson »

Hi,

I am having continued problems with files created following sleep assessment with Muse s - 256Mb file won't send to dropbox, keeps failing (small files go fine) - then when I use Mail Drop with my iPhone it works sometimes and others I just get an empty file. There are file management apps mentioned above but I can get any of them to work - appreciate wanting to keep the app simple but the 'fire and forget' nature of dealing with files recorded over hours, some containing important information relating to parasomnia event is incredibly frustrating and is making the Muse ineffective for EEG analysis. Is there anything else I can do to get access to the file so that I can ensure it is protected until I can transfer to my Mac? Thanks