reliable data streaming

reyhaneh

reliable data streaming

Post by reyhaneh »

Hi James,

Many thanks for the wonderful app.

I want to use Muse-S for collecting EEG data from truck drivers in 12 hours sessions. A researcher will help the drivers to wear the headband at the start location, and midway, but there would be no accompanying researcher to keep the naturalistic setting of the driving experience. I need some help with the following questions:

- As there is a possibility for a driver to leave the cab during the trip, the connection to the device may be lost. Is there that the device reconnects automatically?
- Is there any recommended device (you mentioned in a post that Huwai are not compatible with Mind Monitor).

- Is there a way to record and save data in small chunks (30 minutes or so) to avoid data loss automatically? Can data be saved in the device, or it's better to be transferred to another data acquisition system (a laptop or industrial PC)?

Kind regards,
Reyhaneh
James
Site Admin

Re: reliable data streaming

Post by James »

* Mind Monitor automatically connects to the nearest device without any user action other than running the app. So yes, the app will auto-reconnect and if it was recording when the connection was lost it will resume recording when a device re-connects.

However, if the Muse-S powers off due to not having a connection, then the user will need to turn it back on. I'm not sure how long the Muse-S takes before it powers off automatically, but I'd guess around the 2-5 minute mark, so a typical bathroom break will likely cause it to turn off. The user will be able to see the light on the Muse-S in the rear view mirror and turn it back on, but you'd need to train them on this.

Note that there is an option in settings (near the bottom) to turn on five numbered Marker buttons which will put a numbered marker in the recording. I'd recommend you get drivers to push a button when they're taking a break and leaving the cab, then you'll know what all the noise is in the recording, due to them jostling the connection turning it back on.

* Anything non-Huawei. If you use an iPhone, then Dropbox is built in and doesn't require user interaction to select where to upload the recording.

* Nothing automatic. I recommend Dropbox on an iPhone, then the user can stop/start the recording very easily.
reyhaneh

Post by reyhaneh »

Hi James,
Many thanks for your prompt response. So, iPhone seems to be the best option.
As you mentioned the recorded data will not be saved automatically, can iPhone collect and keep data (in its RAM) for about 4-5 hours before the researcher would stop recording the session?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

reyhaneh wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:37 pm As you mentioned the recorded data will not be saved automatically, can iPhone collect and keep data (in its RAM) for about 4-5 hours before the researcher would stop recording the session?
Yes :-) I would recommend you have the iPhone plugged into the charger though. If it's an old one, recording constantly for 5 hours might drain the battery a lot.
reyhaneh

Post by reyhaneh »

That makes sense. Thanks for all your valuable input.