High delta waves in waking state

juliabaggins

High delta waves in waking state

Post by juliabaggins »

Hi James,

I'm currently conducting an experiment where I want to measure my brain waves during meditation and while making music. The goal is to see whether there are similarities, as I'm in a type of "flow state" during both activities.

One weird thing I discovered is that especially during waking state when I talk or just do normal work, the Delta waves are pretty high. This is, to my understanding, rather unusual. I definitely do not have any impairments, so was wondering whether that's something that is normal? I've attached a graph.

Thanks,
Julia
Attachments
download (2).png
download (2).png (159.14 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
James
Site Admin

Re: High delta waves in waking state

Post by James »

Judging by the "J" Jaw Clench markers that are over the graph, I would say that the Delta shown here is from EMG interference.
plauge

Post by plauge »

James wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:26 am Judging by the "J" Jaw Clench markers that are over the graph, I would say that the Delta shown here is from EMG interference.
What does this mean? "the Delta shown here is from EMG interference"

:-)
plauge

Post by plauge »

I've been testing my Muse S for almost a week now and I've been testing my self doing diffenrent stuff.
Im a beginner in this EEG world :-)

When I meditate, do asanas or sleep, my delta is over 80 db all the time. Except when Im in deep sleep, then the delta waves go down to 45 db.
I have no clue what it means - yet!

I could be nice if we were able to compare examples.

Here is my EEG from a short meditation.
download (1).png
download (1).png (159.21 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

By EMG I mean muscle movement interference.
The J markers mean that it looks like you are clenching your Jaw, which generates a lot of interference in the data.
Also "BF" means Bad Fit! You don't want any of these markers as it indicates the Muse isn't on the head properly.

To get good clean data, you must keep your head still with minimal facial muscle movement.
Switch to the RAW EEG view. Here you want to have minimal movement on the line except sharp spikes when you blink. "Fuzzyness" here indicates poor data quality and is usually caused by the band not being tight against the skin, or the subject moving their facial muscles, for example, talking.
As an example, look at this screenshot https://mind-monitor.com/img/mm-screen-3.jpg
Here there is Good data quality on AF7 and AF8, but TP9 could be a lot better and TP10 is ok, but could be better.
plauge

Post by plauge »

Thanks.
juliabaggins

Post by juliabaggins »

Thanks James!

I measured myself while playing the piano and tried to keep my head as still as possible.

How come the beta and delta waves are almost the same here (visualised as raw eeg)? Could you explain?

Best,
Julia
Attachments
download.png
download.png (130.16 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I'm not sure, sorry. My personal research is in relaxation.
Bear in mind that I'm a programmer, not a neuroscientist! :-)