How do I analyse my Mind Monitor chart?

DogManStar

Re: How do I analyse my Mind Monitor chart?

Post by DogManStar »

From what I have read beginner meditators should see an increase in Alpha waves. Then as the practitioner becomes more adept, gamma waves increase showing more stable concentration. Apparently advanced yogis have very high levels of gamma wave activity even when not meditating. This is based on reading the book Altered Traits by Dan Goleman and Richard Davidson and watching the Tech for Psych videos on YouTube.
cortesalejo

Post by cortesalejo »

James wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:10 am I would use relative, personally.
Thanks James. If you can add a couple of reasons why (or just one at least) would be very appreciated
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

The range of relative values is fixed between 0 and 1, as opposed to absolutes which are usually -1 to +1, but can extend outside that range making them more complex to graph on a fixed scale.
cortesalejo

Post by cortesalejo »

DogManStar wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:20 am From what I have read beginner meditators should see an increase in Alpha waves. Then as the practitioner becomes more adept, gamma waves increase showing more stable concentration. Apparently advanced yogis have very high levels of gamma wave activity even when not meditating. This is based on reading the book Altered Traits by Dan Goleman and Richard Davidson and watching the Tech for Psych videos on YouTube.
That's a great book for me. I believe those gamma waves are "reserved" for "olympic-level" meditators. For "RAISING OUR VIBRATION: A Guide to Subtle Energy Meditation" authors, different waves behavior depend on the type of meditation you practice.
Attachments
From RAISING OUR VIBRATION
ROV (3).png (118.97 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
ROV (2).png (144.69 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
DogManStar

Post by DogManStar »

That's very interesting. I might look into getting a copy of that book. I wonder if there is a maximum level the muse can measure. James, do you know if it's possibly to make the graphs flatten out by raising a particular wave to a level higher than the Muse can measure?
Miheer

Post by Miheer »

kelvincychiu wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:38 pm Hi James and community,

I just got the Muse S and came across Mind Monitor. Can you point me in the right direction? I am trying to understand how to read and analyse my EEG chart (attached), and I don't know where to start.

"Meditation enables us to move from higher frequency brain waves to lower frequency..."

This is where I get confused...

1. The chart only shows my amplitude, not frequency?
2. What's the difference between "Absolute Brain Waves" and "Relative Brain Waves"?
3. How do I know I'm "moving down" towards theta/delta state?
4. If I am "moving down", shouldn't I see a drop in amplitude in gamma and beta and increase in alpha/theta/delta?
5. If I am "moving down", shouldn't I see alpha go up first, and then theta, followed by delta? Why does it all go up and down at the same time?
6. What is a healthy looking chart supposed to look like?

Thanks,
Kelvin
It is interesting to see your theta rise up to alpha towards the end of the meditation. Somewhere I had read that is where you get a sense of peace and stillness. Kind of a sense of loss of ego. Do you feel anything like it towards the end of your session.

Looks like you meditate for 40+ mins which is fairly long for someone in general to do. Are you a seasoned practitioner?

My graphs are very different than yours. They are alpha dominated through out. With other waves running parallel at much lower dBs or %...