Defining "deep sleep" using the Mind Monitor online graphing tool.

wombat

Defining "deep sleep" using the Mind Monitor online graphing tool.

Post by wombat »

Does anyone have any ideas or experience in defining what might be 'deep sleep' using the Mind Monitor online graphing tool?
Looking at the red Delta wave line in the Relative plot below, it looks like somewhere above 0.40 or 0.45 or maybe even above 0.50 might be appropriate? This guesstimate is just based on how I feel the next day, nothing scientific.
2021-12-08 - Relative-800.png
2021-12-08 - Relative-800.png (74.56 KiB) Viewed 871 times

The Muse app produces a simple plot (hypnogram) of time spent awake, in REM sleep, light sleep and deep sleep. But I don't find this tiny graph specific or detailed enough to be very useful.
2021-11-29 - Muse original_cr1_cr2.jpg
2021-11-29 - Muse original_cr1_cr2.jpg (21.72 KiB) Viewed 871 times
James
Site Admin

Re: Defining "deep sleep" using the Mind Monitor online graphing tool.

Post by James »

I'm not sure about deep sleep, but the red Delta you're seeing in your graph isn't likely to be actual Delta, or may be artifically exagerated.
It's much more likely to be EMG (muscle movement) interference, as on the chart I can see numerious J- Jaw Clench and BF - Bad Fit markers.
wombat

Post by wombat »

...on the chart I can see numerious J- Jaw Clench and BF - Bad Fit markers.
Yes, I have noticed they are a regular occurrence on my charts.
I sleep on my side and change sides quite a few times during the night. Also I get up out of bed a few times. Could the markers be caused by these kind of movements? Maybe comparing the J and BF markers to the Accelerometer and/or Gyroscope charts might give me a clue?
wombat

Post by wombat »

One more question James, how does muscle movement interference impact the Delta wave recording exactly? Or does it affect the recording of all brain wave data?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

It gets interpreted as a low frequency wave, so only Delta is impacted in that regard.