How to keep Muse monitor from closing

armanschwarz

How to keep Muse monitor from closing

Post by armanschwarz »

When I use the Muse app (or any app that needs to keep running) in android it usually just places an icon in the notification bar. Mind monitor doesn't do this, so whenever I start recording as soon as I go to sleep the app just closes and stops recording.

When I open it again, I can't find my recording. I've tried disabling battery management to no avail.

Is there an option to keep this app running in the background?
Last edited by armanschwarz on Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Site Admin

Re: How to keep Muse monitor from closing

Post by James »

No, Mind Monitor must run in the foreground, sorry.
If you run it in the background, then the phone OS will close it as soon as it runs out of resources.
armanschwarz

Post by armanschwarz »

Thanks James. Do you have any suggestions for avoiding screen burn in or screen light bothering users while they sleep?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Flip the phone face down
armanschwarz

Post by armanschwarz »

I suppose that helps with the light, but not with the burn in. For anyone else coming across this. I used an app called "Black Screen" which can be used to turn off the screen while keeping the current app in the foreground.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

If you just turn off the screen then you may be fine. You will likely only have issues with Mind Monitor closing if you are running another high resource usage app.
chiquitar

Post by chiquitar »

I have had two fails trying to record a ketamine session and I think it's because my phone has too many apps on it. Recordings work fine for a few minutes, just never the longer period in which it's very difficult and dizzying to be trying to mess with my phone because I am a bit anaesthestized. Instead of losing all my daily apps for a once a week event, I am thinking of buying Mind Monitor its own device. What's the lowest version of Android I could go for if it's not doing anything else? Obviously it needs Bluetooth but not BT5; is there a minimum ram or data storage size (I need to capture 45 minutes, but once a second or two is probably enough I would guess) I should look for?

Probably going for something as inexpensive as possible from DX or AliExpress, although I heard Walmart has some cheap tablets. Any suggestions welcome.

My docs are very curious how my brain waves are affected by the med!
chiquitar

Post by chiquitar »

If there's a setting that will keep my phone from going to sleep that should work to keep it foreground for 45min, that would be even better. The official Muse app survives my phone going to sleep at night fine, just Mind Monitor doesn't.