Android 12 Has Different Bluetooth Permissions

baffo32

Android 12 Has Different Bluetooth Permissions

Post by baffo32 »

Mind Monitor wasn't working for me on my Android 12 device -- it wouldn't find my headband, whatever I did.

The Muse app does find my headband, but I noticed it used different permissions than Mind Monitor does now.

I looked this up and it turns out the permissions have changed: https://developer.android.com/guide/top ... -or-higher . Maybe other things have changed too, not sure.

For now, I'll be downgrading to Android 11 for Muse Monitor.
baffo32

Re: Android 12 Has Different Bluetooth Permissions

Post by baffo32 »

I ended up finding I could work around this on Android 12 by enabling "Google Location Accuracy", "Wi-Fi- scanning", and "Bluetooth scanning" in Settings -> Location -> Location services

The Muse app does not need these permissions on Android 12.

After successfully connecting my Muse to Mind Monitor once, I was able to disable the extra permissions and continue using it.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I haven't personally tested on Android 12, but according to my Google Play Store stats, I have a bunch of 5 star ratings/reviews from people with Android 12, dating back to it's release in October 2021, so I don't think there should be an issues.

I'm certainly going look into the permissions when I do the next release, but the way that Android works is that when you compile it for a certain version of Android, it will then work that way for future versions of Android. It's only when you re-compile it against a higher target level that you have to make changes. For example an app compiled for Android v4 wouldn't have to ask for certain permissions as they didn't exist in that version and that same app would still work the same way on a phone running Android 12. But if you then re-compiled it today in 2022, you'd need to add in a permission request.
baffo32

Post by baffo32 »

The people who rate it five stars could have google location services enabled, which is the default. It works if these are enabled, as mentioned in previous post.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I think even if I compiled a new version targeting Android 12 you would still need to allow location permissions for Bluetooth LE with the Muse.
I'll delve into this further when I do the next release; but thanks for bringing it to my attention. :-)
baffo32

Post by baffo32 »

Thank you.

The executive summary is that the official Muse app connects without the need to enable system settings, and Mind Monitor does not.