Mind Monitor not sending data.

emeraldmonkee115

Mind Monitor not sending data.

Post by emeraldmonkee115 »

Hi there,

I have been attempting to get data to stream over to Muse Lab all day from my iPhone 12.

I have set up the graphs on Muse Lab with the json file from another post on this forum.
I made a new rule exception on firewall specifically to allow all traffic through UDP 5000.
I ensured that Muse Lab had UDP 5000 open to receive the data.
Finally, I ensured the settings on mind monitor have the correct port and stream target IP within the settings (And setting the app to streaming mode).

It turns out, after doing to packet detecting with Wireshark, that the mind monitor is not sending anything to my computer at all. Even sending manual pings from another application to ensure I wasn't going crazy... (Which it detected) It appears that Mind Monitor (or my phone) is not sending the streamed data to the targeted IP address.

I think I've done all I can to justify that I need a helping hand, what are my next steps in solving this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Matthew Stageman
James
Site Admin

Re: Mind Monitor not sending data.

Post by James »

Check that you're sending to the correct IP address.
On a Mac you can check your local IP by typing "ifconfig" into the terminal. Make sure you're using the WiFi local IP, it'll likely start with 192.168.x.x, or 10.10.x.x

Your WiFi network may be blocking UDP traffic. This is usually only a problem on university networks. UDP was used widly for LAN gaming in the 90s, and back then many Universities put a blanket block on UDP traffic.

Make sure that both your phone and Mac are on the same WiFi network.

If you suspect the WiFi network to be the issue, then test using a iPhone as a Wifi hotspot and connect the Mac to that.
emeraldmonkee115

Post by emeraldmonkee115 »

Actually me and my dad figured out that its iOS 14 which has new privacy settings. Anyone with iOS 14 (or later) will have to manually turn on local networking for Mind Monitor. Settings > Privacy > Local Network > Turn on Mind Monitor. It completely works now! I hope this helps anyone in the future! 8-)
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Interesting, thanks for letting me know! :-)