NEW here, newbie question

tomtoka

NEW here, newbie question

Post by tomtoka »

Hello all

I am new here, I got my muse 2 yesterday, and I just found this app.
My questions is, actually I have 2 questions

The reason I found this app is. I want to use my own meditation ( running guided meditation ) but I wanted muse to collect data ( brain, movement, hear) well, it wont work like that, so I am looking for a 3rd party app to do that.

How can I tell from Min Monitro app, if I am really meditation good? the Beta wave will be going down, and theta will increase? is it how it works?

thank you
James
Site Admin

Re: NEW here, newbie question

Post by James »

There are many conflicting opinions on what relaxation looks like and Interaxon are keeping their algorithm a secret. In my opinion high relative Alpha looks like a good candidate. This means high Alpha and/or lower other waves.

If you want a deep dive in this theory, check out the research paper "My Virtual Dream: Collective Neurofeedback in an Immersive Art Environment" by Natasha Kovacevic, Petra Ritter, William Tays, Sylvain Moreno, Anthony Randal McIntosh: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0130129
tomtoka

Post by tomtoka »

yea, I dont get it
I had the band for 5 minutes ( just being active) talking, responding to email, and then 5 minutes with closed eyes, and concentrating on breath,
looking only at theta and beta, in meditatin I would expect beta to go lower, and theta slight increas, too bad, I cant upload graph here hmm
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

If you're having problems with the online charts, please email me a screenshot of the error you're getting to support@mind-monitor.com
Regarding using the Muse while active; please note that the Muse is very sensitive to EMG muscle movement interference. For example, if you talk while using the Muse, then the jaw muscle movement interference will likely generate a far greater signals than the tiny EEG signals from your brain, invalidating your results. Make sure that when you're using the Muse you have thin crisp lines on the RAW EEG screen, similar to the screenshot here: https://mind-monitor.com/img/mm-screen-3.jpg In-fact, in this screenshot the signal on TP9 and TP10 could be improved as they're both a little "fuzzy".
tomtoka

Post by tomtoka »

I will email it to you, thank you for the help
I just want some help to understand them, so I can analyze them by myself
I though that my were mostly in Beta, and once I meditate, I activate more Alpha an finally if you are doing good, you will be in more in Theta, so I was expcting to see theta a little higher , maybe not enough data( it was just a few minutes test) maybe I am not good with meditation, well who know,
I will email you CSV files,
thank you again