Is it possible to collect sensor data from two Muse Headbands at the same time?

Peter Gamma

Is it possible to collect sensor data from two Muse Headbands at the same time?

Post by Peter Gamma »

The Muse headband has four EEG channels. Is it possible to wear two Muse headbands on top of each other? Is there an additional contact necessary behind the ears, which makes this setup impossible? Bluetooth low energy only allows pairing to one target device at a time. When someone wants to have a connection to the Mind Monitor and one to LSL at the same time, two devices are necessary. It is possible to collect sensor data from two Muse headbands at the same time?
Peter Gamma

Re: Is it possible to collect sensor data from two Muse Headbands at the same time?

Post by Peter Gamma »

The Muse headband teardown says the Muse headband takes also measurements from behind your ear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Blku7MqSo
James
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to collect sensor data from two Muse Headbands at the same time?

Post by James »

You're not going to get good clean data if you've got two headbands stacked on your head. The band needs to be perpendicular to the skin. Even if you could somehow get good contact, each Muse would be reading a different head point so the EEG data would be different.

If you want to stream the data to multiple sources you can. Just stream OSC data from Mind Monitor to a relay app on a Mac/PC which can then send the data out to multiple sources in whatever format you like e.g. LSL.
Peter Gamma

Post by Peter Gamma »

James wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:26 pm Even if you could somehow get good contact, each Muse would be reading a different head point so the EEG data would be different.
You are right, James. But I still find this option interesting. I own two old Muse headbands which need battery replacement. Since I have to take them apart anyway, I though about building two devices together. This gives a 8 channel device. When it is possible to put these devices at clearly defined EEG positions, then one could eventually analyse the resulting data in EEGLAB.