Correlation with the theory of states of the brain

Profgio

Correlation with the theory of states of the brain

Post by Profgio »

Hello James, I am doing tests to corroborate the emotional states or brain activity that can be observed with the muse, but I have some doubts.

Supposedly the states correspond to the predominance like this:

- Sleeping - Delta

- Dreaming / Tired- Tetha

- Relax- Alpha

- Alertness- beta

- Excited- gamma

I did two sessions, one of meditation and the other working. And I have the following questions:

1.Why is Delta so high in meditation?

2.Why are theta and delta so high working?

3.The best way to verify this dominance is with average minutes / relative bw. ?

Here the images and file.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks
James
Site Admin

Re: Correlation with the theory of states of the brain

Post by James »

#1 - 2: Bear in mind that I'm a programmer, not a neuroscientist! So all my knowledge is just personal research.
The brain is doing MANY many things all the time, so I think that e.g. "Delta = Sleeping", is just one possible condition.
What we observe in the Muse brainwaves can be caused from many different things. For example, if you close your eyes and feel a breeze on your face, you could say "Breeze on face = Wind" , but it could be from a large truck passing you by, or a desk fan.

I think the above brain states are what you will see if you're doing that thing, but they don't mean that if you see that brain state, that is what you are doing.

So if you are sleeping you will see high Delta, but you could get high Delta from other things.
It's pretty well known that high delta can be caused by EMG interference (muscle movement), but looking at your sample data, it looks very good, so I don't believe, that is what is happening in this case. So for this sample set, I'm not sure why there is high delta, sorry!

Although we can make general statements like "High Alpha correlates with Relaxation", Everyone is unique so what constitutes "High Alpha" will change from person to person. To test, I would recommend recording 20 minutes where you are just watching TV, then 20 minutes of meditation and see how your brainwaves change. Note that you may get high delta from TV viewing if you flick your eyes back and forth a lot, so don't sit right next to the TV to minimize this ;-)

#3 - Dominance just means the highest wave, so relative would show this most clearly. As to minutes vs all data, it would depend on how long you are recording. I think for a 20 minute session taking the minutes view would make the most sense to smooth out the data.
Profgio

Post by Profgio »

Thank you very much for your answer
Zetron

Post by Zetron »

I just received my MUSE S and have started with this software. As to Delta
waves, they are not present in the waking adult , at least that was what information i looked at stated. The only time Delta is present in an adult is in deep remless sleep.

I need copies of other people's brain waves. Also in recording my brainwaves i need tics with the relevant units that go with the number values. David
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Zetron wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:15 am As to Delta waves, they are not present in the waking adult
Sorry, but that's not true. All brainwaves are present at all times; There are just different levels of them, which correlate with different things.
Zetron

Post by Zetron »

I stand corrected.
Zetron

Post by Zetron »

I need to figure out how to record the eeg. I interject my purpose to obtain tangible representation of a spiritual experience. However no idea of what my experiences will look like on an eeg . David
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

To record just press the Red Dot record button :-)
When you're done, press the White Square Stop button.
I would then recommend using the online chart viewer to look at your data at https://mind-monitor.com/Chart.php