Intro guides to neurofeedback and brain regions.

mtp

Intro guides to neurofeedback and brain regions.

Post by mtp »

Hey,

Looking for any references on reasonable interpretation of meditative states. I'm just starting, and am finding that by relative beta is usually relatively high. I can see clearly movement in other waves when I'm trying to meditate, and even differences when I'm focusing on chakra energy (playing with ideas).

Im interested in any references on the different wave mixes, and what they usually indicate.

FWIW, I know mentally I'm usually very switched on and mentally vigilant, and that appears to be what the beta waves usually represent.
Attachments
alpha-beta-rel-2023-01-08.png
alpha-beta-rel-2023-01-08.png (102.67 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
James
Site Admin

Re: Intro guides to neurofeedback and brain regions.

Post by James »

mtp

Post by mtp »

Thanks. That had the sort of references I was looking at.

In particular
- Marzbani, H., Marateb, H. R., & Mansourian, M. (2016). Neurofeedback: a comprehensive review on system design, methodology and clinical applications. Basic and Clinical Neuroscience, 7(2), 143-158. http://dx.doi.org/10.15412/J.BCN.03070208

Referencing my other post on Muse S AUXL/AUXR, it would be great to integrate some of these points. While I respect that Mind Monitor is focused on relaxation, it is tantalizing close to being more general purpose.

Assuming we have TP9/TP10, and AF7/AF8, and with AUXL/AUXR mapped to say C3/C4, then there are some interesting opportunities for Neurofeedback. From Table 2 we have
  • Left (TP9/AF7/C3)
    RIght (TP10/AF8/C4)
    Sensory Motor Cortex (C3/C4)
    Frontal Lobe (AF7/AF8)
Which then can be cross referenced with the Table 4, etc, which may have other potential value for people who are interested in specific areas. I fully accept that it might not be in Mind Monitor itself, but making sure that AUXL/AUXR are output in the same way is likely critical to allow processing on the desktop.

Overall, thanks for Mind Monitor, it opens up a lot of options.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I would actually dispute that Mind Monitor is focused on relaxation. There is no subjective interpretation of any values in the app, just raw data presented. How the user uses that data is entirely up to them. ;-) There are many conflicting opinons on how to interpret brainwaves so I felt that just focusing on making all possible data available was best.
mtp

Post by mtp »

Thanks. I don't necessarily see it as that either, I see it as a relay for Muse to other tools and systems (albeit it's messy out there). I was reflecting on comments when people start diving deeper, you seem to respond thet your focus is on relaxation, not deeper analysis.

But thanks again for creating the tool.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

Relaxation is the only thing that I have personally researched, so it's the only subject that I'm ok to give (mild!) guidance on.