How can I solve the problem to archive web and GITHUB pages which are in danger, and perserve them for the future?

Peter Gamma

How can I solve the problem to archive web and GITHUB pages which are in danger, and perserve them for the future?

Post by Peter Gamma »

James, you offered help miraculously when software of a manufacturer was lost, a forum of a manufacturer was lost, in a for me personally misterious web archive. How was this done? How can I solve the problem to archive web and GITHUB pages which are in danger, and perserve them for the future?
James
Site Admin

Re: How can I solve the problem to archive web and GITHUB pages which are in danger, and perserve them for the future?

Post by James »

Visit the site at web.archive.org and they'll archive it.
Peter Gamma

Re: How can I solve the problem to archive web and GITHUB pages which are in danger, and perserve them for the future?

Post by Peter Gamma »

Thanks, James, but is this safe? Is there a tool you can recommend to download the content to a PC?
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "safe"? It's a website, it's not going to bite ;-)
If you want to download content to your own machine, there are many programs to do this. In the past I've used WebZip by SpiderSoft, but that was many years ago before archive sites like web.archive.org existed.
Peter Gamma

Post by Peter Gamma »

How do you know that web.archive.org is not going to to bite? Some don't want to have their brain data in the cloud, I don't want to have content which I might depend on in the future somewhere on a website. Thanks, James.
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

True. Well you can try WebZIP, then.