Beta readings with muse 1 vs 2

Se7en

Beta readings with muse 1 vs 2

Post by Se7en »

Dear James,

As you might know there have been test by the community with reading simultaneously muse1 and 2 in the same session.
Beta reads always much higher in muse 2 with muse monitor.
Which make graph comparing not possible between the 2 models.

I am guessing this is a hardware problem?
Nothing that can be adjusted from your side?
James
Site Admin

Re: Beta readings with muse 1 vs 2

Post by James »

How are you testing with two bands at the same time? I can't see how this would be possible.
You can't be wearing both at the same time, as the fit would be terrible.

Regardless, there's nothing I could adjust. It's just pure maths on hardware results.
Se7en

Post by Se7en »

Yes it is possible since muse 2 is much slimmer.
The connection is okey according to the horseshoe.

I have done it several times and I know of at least 2 other muse user who have done multiple tests as well.

But I understand that your app only gets the data off the sensor and translates that to a graph.
Which would mean that the hardware or their internal algorithm has changed from 1 to 2.

Thanks again
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I'm sorry, but I really don't see how you're getting two Muse's on your head, with both correctly fitted.

What about the ears? If the Muse isn't hooked on to your ears, then the sensor strip won't be perpendicular to your head.

The only way to truly compare the two Muse's would be to have a signal generator creating the same signal, then clamping that to each Muse in turn and comparing the values.

I can guarantee that the internal calculations have not varied between the Muse 1 and Muse 2, as Interaxon has not yet updated the SDK to properly support the Muse 2, so it's using the same math as the Muse 1 calcs do.
Se7en

Post by Se7en »

.https://photos.app.goo.gl/SrVEsZF2e9LB37yo8

I followed this guide...
I understand your scepticism about the accuracy of that test.
But I have also done plenty tests switching from one to the other band in one session.
That does leave a gap with open eyes...also not the most accurate.
But my beta is with muse 1 in my daily 45-60min meditation sessions, always same time same place glued to 40-50
While the same with muse 2 is 60-70.

That is significantly more and even calculating all facts in that the tests are not 100% accurate ...
My explanation was that something changed in their algorithm as I believe you use only the raw data and convert it into a graph.

Thank you for taking the time to reply
James
Site Admin

Post by James »

I'm very skeptical about this as a test methodology, but regarding Muse Monitor, I can verify that the math is identical, so any changes in value would be down to the hardware or the firmware running on the Muse itself.
Se7en

Post by Se7en »

Thank you that was what I thought